Depression & Anxiety
Are you Anxious or Depressed? Melbourne Natural Wellness Can Help You
Do any of the following statements apply to you?
- My anxiety and/ or depression is affecting my work, relationships or social life
- I no longer take pleasure in activities I once enjoyed
- I avoid certain activities, places and people because of fear of panic, embarrassment or death
- Every time I leave the house I feel a surge of panic wash over me
- I struggle to drive and avoid places with crowds such as airports, trains and supermarkets
- My anxiety and/ or depression is ruining my life
- I tried anti-depressants but they did not work and/ or the side effects were too bad
- I do not want to take medication to treat my depression
- Some days I wake up and all I can do is stare at the wall
- My libido, appetite and sleep patterns are disrupted
- I feel sick all the time and constantly worry about illness and death
- I feel my life is worthless and pointless
- I feel that nobody can help me
If you answered Yes to any of these questions, you may be suffering from depression and/ or anxiety. Thankfully, MNW has years of experience in treating people with these types of problems WITHOUT drugs and WITHOUT side effects.
How MNW Can Help You?
MNW adopts a holistic approach to treating the causes and symptoms of anxiety and depression. Treatment commences with a comprehensive assessment from our specialist who will then develop a personal, tailored approach for you and your specific condition. A typical treatment plan may include:
- Advice on lifestyle changes you can make
- Weekly exercises for you to do
- Dietary and Nutrition Advice
- Natural herbs and dietary supplements
- Referral to one of our excellent relaxation massage therapists
- Yoga, Pilates or Meditation classes
Use the Contact Us form and tell us how you feel. What other treatments you may have tried. We can then help you and guide to in the right direction on treatment and where to start. For example here are some options others have tried and had successful results with:
NLP or Kinesiology. Our practitioners will use very effective techniques to help get you started on your road to recovery.
If you want to attack it from all sides at once, also look at these other 2 points below. Book some yoga or pilates classes click this link
Book an appointment with one of our Naturopaths, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture practitioners to make sure you are getting the right vitamins and minerals for you and make sure you are getting specific dietary and supplement advice for you.
What You Can Do To Help Right Now
There are several very simple steps you can take right now to relieve your anxiety and depression symptoms:
- Reduce or stop your alcohol intake (alcohol is a depressant and while it may have beneficial short term effects, it can actually exacerbate anxiety and depression)
- Reduce or stop your caffeine intake (particularly for anxiety sufferers as caffeine is a stimulant - try herbal teas instead)
- Get at least half an hour of sunlight every day
- Do half an hour of moderate exercise each day such as walking, swimming or light weights (anxiety sufferers should avoid strenuous exercise as this can exacerbate symptoms for some people)
- Sign up for a Yoga or Pilates class - click on ‘Book & Shop’ above
- Contact us on 9662 1311 to make an appointment for your initial consultation and assessment
What is Anxiety?Anxiety is a basic emotion experienced by all humans at some point in their lives. While for many people, anxiety serves a useful function in preparing the body for imminent danger or threat, for some it can generate seemingly inappropriate and exaggerated responses that can result in often prolonged, debilitating and intensely frightening attacks that can severely impact on an individual’s ability to perform daily functions and enjoy life. A common form of anxiety is agoraphobia which literally means ‘fear of the marketplace’. Agoraphobia often develops after an individual experiences a terrifying panic attack in a certain place or situation. The individual then develops a fear of that place or situation such that they will avoid it in the future for fear of having another panic attack. This avoidance can then become generalised to certain types of public place and in extreme cases can result in sufferers becoming housebound. For an excellent description of how anxiety works and why it is never dangerous, read this article.
What is Depression?
Depression is an illness typically characterised by a chronic low mood over a period of several months or more. Common symptoms of depression include lack of motivation, low self-esteem, feeling blue, guilt, shame, worthlessness, hopelessness and pointlessness. Physical symptoms can include loss of appetite, poor sleep, decreased libido, low energy and tiredness. While genetic, biological, psychological, environmental and social factors are all believed to play a role in depression, the weight applied to each factor varies with the individual sufferer. Depression is essentially a problem caused by excessive negative thoughts and feelings and any effective treatment should seek to overturn these thought patterns. To understand how thoughts in our brain can cause depression, read this article
For an excellent book on treating depression without drugs, MNW recommends ’Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy’ by Dr. David Burns.
Body Work and Relaxation
Know what you need and ready to make an appointment?
Book an appointment now
Not sure what you need or where to start?
We offer you a no obligation free consultation over the phone or in person where you can talk to one of our coaches and receive a complimentary health and wellness assessment, free second opinion or the opportunity to discuss your symptoms in more detail and receive a recommendation on which modality is best for you. Call us at 9662131